Photo of Brian Zepp
Brian Zepp 

with Brian Zepp of the KQRS Morning Show.

Bialke Law


Photo of Brian Zepp
Brian Zepp 

with Brian Zepp of the KQRS Morning Show.

Experienced Aggressive Representation

Get answers to workers’ compensation questions

On Behalf of | May 6, 2019 | Firm News, Workplace Accidents |

Workers’ compensation is important for those who have been injured on the job. This is especially true in high-risk occupations such as construction, warehouse work and manufacturing. But if you were injured, do you actually have a claim? That’s an important question, and one that you may want to answer with the help of a good attorney.

Here are some of the questions you can ask yourself before you reach out for legal help, so you have a better idea of how the process may work for you:

What should I do first after my on-the-job accident?

According to the Minnesota Department of Labor & Industry, you should be sure to report your injury right away. In an emergency, you can tell your employer after you seek medical attention, but for all non-emergency injuries, notifying your employer first should be your priority.

There will be a First Report of Injury (FROI) form that your employer needs to complete, so be sure to provide all of the information about how you were hurt and what kinds of injuries you have.

Does my employer have to carry insurance?

With very few exceptions, all employers in Minnesota have to carry workers’ compensation insurance. If you work in a trade like manufacturing or construction, where the risk of injury may be higher than other types of jobs, be sure to ask your employer about the type of insurance they carry. You have a right to that information, especially if you’re making the decision as to whether to accept employment with that company.

What kind of benefits can I get?

If you have a workers’ compensation claim that is accepted, you can potentially receive several different benefits. These include payment for the wages you lost as a result of the injury, medical benefits, vocational training and rehabilitation, and compensation if you have lost the use of a particular part of your body. The level of benefits you may qualify for will depend on the type and severity of your injury.

What if I can’t return to the type of work I used to do?

In some cases, you may not be able to return to your old job or any job like it. If that’s the case, you may qualify for vocational training. Such training can help you translate some of the skills you have over to another type of job. You may also be taught skills to help you find a new job, and you may get assistance with job placement. In some cases, you may be able to begin a whole new career.

To learn more about workers’ compensation benefits in Minnesota, don’t hesitate to talk with a lawyer skilled in this particular area of law.